Friday, July 19, 2019

DISCERNING ONE’S VOCATION BY DE-FAULT














INTRODUCTION

Back when the Church was flourishing almost every person had access to a priest who could be their confessor and help them to discern their vocation in life.  These days such is often not possible.  So, I would like to share what I have learned from the writings of the saints about how priests used to discern vocations for those under their guidance.


WHAT THE SAINTS AND HOLY WRITERS SAY

The saints say that “You shall be saved by doing the will of God” and that “This is the will of God: your salvation”.

The holy writers also say furthermore that “Every man has a primary fault which he is greatly inclined towards” and that “The overcoming of one’s predominate fault should be his primary concern in life”. 

By putting all of these precepts together we can conclude that a man’s calling and God's will in life is: To embrace whichever vocation will best help him to overcome his predominant fault and thus to gain eternal life.  It now remains to explain how diverse faults can indicate that a person should embrace the different states of life.


THE RELIGIOUS LIFE

Most nuns, monks, and priests make a vow of poverty, chastity and obedience.  To take such a vow, one should be at least somewhat certain and determined to fulfill these promises.  For, a person who frequently breaks profound vows to God will continuously build up sin upon his head for which he will have to make atonement either in this life or the next.

A person whose primary faults are pride, stubbornness, disrespectfulness and disobedience may have a hard time keeping a vow of obedience.

A person whose primary faults are gluttony, greed, and avarice may have a hard time making a vow of poverty.

A person whose primary faults are against the sin of purity may have a hard time keeping a vow of chastity.

On the other hand, he who is naturally inclined to be quiet, submissive, and whose primary fault is the need for constant guidance and discipline to keep them on track or accomplish anything will find the religious life as an unlimited source for growth in virtue and advancement in the spiritual life.

Also, it should be added that there is no harm, and perhaps much good, in visiting a convent or monastery for a while to discern a vocation and also whether one has the ability to make and keep such vows even if one will not join a religious order in the end.


THE MARRIED STATE

The married state requires a great deal of humility, charity, meekness and often forces these virtues upon those who might not already have them. 

A person whose primary fault is pride will find that this vocation will help them become more modest because of all the humiliating circumstances that come with it.  Some examples of this are: Not being able to keep a spotless house; being covered in excrement from leaky diapers, vomit from babies or other children throwing up; being blamed for any fault your child or spouse commits in public.

A person whose primary fault is selfishness and stubbornness will find that being faithful to the duties of the married life almost forces them to be less willful and be more charitable.  This is because of the fact that their lives and bodies no longer belong just to themselves and God and they must often put the needs of their spouse and children before themselves and their own wants.

A person whose primary fault is wrath may find that the matrimonial vocation helps give them many opportunities to fight against their anger.  Children can annoy and test the limit of even the most patient and gentle people by their bickering and screams.  Due to constant pestering from children and spouses one can also find the means to practice great meekness.

On the other hand, a person whose primary faults are laziness and timidity may find it hard to discipline their children and through marriage may run the risk of losing their souls by not fulfilling their duties properly.


THE SINGLE STATE

Originally the single state was taken up only by those who were had neither a religious vocation nor were able to marry.  Single people used to consist primarily of those who were infirm, disabled, or who had specific duties to their parents or families which obliged them not to pursue another vocation.  Such people usually made a vow of virginity and committed themselves to a vocation in the world and of performing acts of mercy towards those around them.

This vocation takes a strong mind and will.  However, it also requires a great deal of humility as one’s primary purpose is to serve those around them.

A person whose primary fault is laziness should not generally embrace this life as they might lose the incentive to do anything with their life at all.

A person whose primary fault is pride should generally not embrace this life as they may tend to think that the works they accomplish alone, without any help from a religious order, are very great and may easily become even more proud and puffed up.

A person whose primary fault is anger should not embrace this life as it will make it harder for them to serve those around them in kindness and charity as this vocation requires.

On the other hand, this vocation could be seen as useful for those whose primary faults are those of the flesh.  For, by keeping busy in the works of mercy required by their state of life they will likely be too preoccupied to overeat or overindulge. 


AFTERNOTE

There are always exceptions to the norm and it is not my intention to tell any particular person what their vocation is.  It is also important to note that a person who overcomes his predominant fault before embracing a particular state in life may find it easy to embrace almost any state of life.  Thus, much prayer, penance and patience is required to discern truly to which vocation one has been called to by God.  Parents should instill in their children from an early age the idea that they should pray daily to know the will of God for them in their lives.  Finally, until one knows their vocation, he should concentrate his time and efforts on conquering and overcoming his predominant fault so as to better accomplish the duties of his vocation once it is made known to him.

7 comments:

  1. This post actually provided a lot of clarity - I knew that I wasn't called to the religious life but I couldn't actually pinpoint WHY. Turns out I would fail in keeping vows of obedience and chastity fairly regularily...

    I've been rather torn as to whether to pursue the married state or the single state for a few years. I've always been wanting the married state but have had no guy yet and so that's a little difficult. I know that I need to keep busy whether that means doing those works of mercy (which I probably should do anyway) or preparing my soul for a future marriage.

    Speaking of which, how are things going for you? I do apologize for not replying to your last comment or commenting on your previous post - this spring and summer has been absolutely chaotic for my family. My grandparents are in the process of moving and we've been helping them pack and receiving some of their stuff, and yeah. Our house is an absolute mess, and everybody's kinda been reaching that emotional breaking point. There has been a lot of crosses to bear, but we're managing!

    As for recent job developments, I left the farm job back in November. My boss and I had a falling out and we never could restore relations. So it was better that I left. I've been unemployed since then - I haven't had much luck with finding work and my family has been consuming my energy since late winter.

    But! I do have some projects that I am working on. I've been working on renovating my room, which I've been blogging about. I've got an agricultural history project in the barest beginnings - about Thomas Jefferson. I'm finishing an Irish Crochet black veil - just need to get some more thread to finish the edge and then starch it and it's done! And, I got my sewing machine fixed so once my room is set up a bit better, I'll be able to SEW again! That will be wonderful - I haven't sewed in such a while, and I have materials for at least three projects that I've started and haven't had the chance to finish!

    But anyways, what about you?! How old is the baby now (and is it a boy or a girl? Last we talked was before he/she was born)???

    (and I'm clicking that notify me button so I don't forget to check back! I've missed talking to you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine!

      It is good to hear from you! And no worries about taking awhile to respond. I TOTALLY understand how busy life can be! πŸ˜‰

      I am glad to hear that my article helped to provide some clarity for you! I shall be praying that God helps you to know and accept whatever vocation you have been called to when the time is right! I know how hard it can be to wait for God to make things clear as I didn't married until 26 years old. (Remind me how old you are now...) But, the husband God sent me at the very last day of a 15 decade 54 day rosary novena was well worth the wait! Hang in there! 😊

      It sounds as if things have been just about as busy and crazy for you as it has been for me. Our little boy is now almost 3 1/2 months old. It has been a busy few months with him needing a LOT of attention and trying to get things still done around the house as well. He is starting to play more with toys now and self entertain a bit. So, I finally got around to painting the nursery and organizing it. He also has finally started sleeping for longer stretches as night (2-5 hrs). So, I am more rested as well. It is funny the things one takes for granted until they are not as easily aquired. πŸ˜‹

      I will have to check out your blog again to she your rennovationsand everything! And you know how to make viels from scratch! How nice! I wish I did! Maybe one day... πŸ˜‰

      Well, it is about time to put the little guy down for his nap. Catch you later!

      God bless!

      Rita

      Delete
    2. Indeed yes! I'm a few months shy of 25, so the wait is kinda telling on me a little. Though one of my very dear friends at church is about to be married, and she's in her low thirties - so I guess I can't complain too much.
      The financial worries are also back with my being unemployed, that stress isn't helping at all. I do hate the idea of working again, though, after my last two jobs working out so poorly.
      I should do some kind of novena - either to St. Anne or a Rosary Novena...

      awww, a little boy?? That's so exciting (and I imagine it would be crazy!). One of my dearest friends has a five month old son, and she's also just getting into the swing of things now that he's playing with rattles and ribbon toys. So glad that your little one is sleeping more - I can imagine that is a huge blessing!

      Yes! Search under Operation Vintage and you'll get all the posts (and pictures!). It's not completed yet - the wall decorations have not been put up, and there are still some items that haven't found a home *glares*

      Well, I'm no expert...I got a book on how to do Irish Crochet a Christmas or so ago and I'm making my first veil - a black one! I had several white veils already and only a makeshift black cotton veil for feasts like Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I'll have a post about that once I actually finish it. I did make some mistakes, but it doesn't look as terrible as I feared...so I suppose that's a good thing??

      Delete
  2. I love your blog. I was happy to see this post in my RSS feed this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynne! I have been a little slow getting back to writing after the birth of our baby. Hopefully, I will get more into the swing of things again soon now that he is nearly 3 1/2. months old and no longer constantly needing attention. 😊

      Delete
  3. J+M+J
    I found your site through Catherine's blog, and I honestly can't stop reading it. Thank you, its an answered prayer. Deo Gracitias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doorman,

      Catherine is great, isn't she!? πŸ˜„

      I am very glad you are benefiting from my writings here! God is good! πŸ˜‡

      Hopefully, I will be able to get back to writing soon now that our baby is a little older. God knows best though and always provides when the time is right.

      Keep fighting the good fight and may God bless you! 😊

      Sincerly,

      Rita

      Delete